Works of Beauty


My friend and I went on an outing to the Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls yesterday.

2000 live butterflies call this place home.

You experience butterflies in a natural setting amongst a backdrop of lush greenery, a gentle waterfall and moist temps.    
   
Earlier this year I attended an art exhibition at the Art Gallery of Ontario called Mystical Landscapes: Masterpieces from Monet, Van Gogh and More.

It seems to me that the Butterfly Conservatory shares certain similarities with an art exhibition.

They both feature works of beauty. The butterflies are beautiful and colourful. They are natural works of beauty. They are like living art. I stood mesmerized looking at the butterflies for an hour-and-a-half.



Several paintings at Mystical Landscapes were enthralling. One painting in particular that I enjoyed was Van Gogh’s “Starry Night Over the Rhone.” I stood mesmerized looking at this painting for minutes on end. I marvelled at how Van Gogh depicted the reflection of twinkling stars over water at night. Van Gogh’s painting is a man-made work of beauty.


  
Both places attract a respectful crowd.  In a video, visitors to the Butterfly Conservatory were cautioned to watch their step in case they were to inadvertently step on a butterfly. Butterflies are delicate creatures. Visitors were advised that if they wanted to move a butterfly in their pathway, that they offer their finger rather than picking up a butterfly by their wings. An orange butterfly parked itself on my friend’s finger. Butterflies are gentle creatures. My friend got up close and personal with this butterfly and took a picture on his smartphone just inches away from this butterfly. A grey butterfly parked itself on my blue-checkered shirt. I was so thrilled to have a butterfly visit me that I didn’t move for several minutes so that I wouldn’t disturb the butterfly. Everyone was so respectful and no one batted at the butterflies!  At Mystical Landscapes, everyone was respectful as well. No pushing and shoving. Everyone found their own best vantage point to see a painting and respectfully maneuvered themselves around other visitors. Visitors spoke in hushed tones.  

You feel transported at both places. The Butterfly Conservatory was a calm and relaxing place.  You feel transported from any worries you might have. Similarly at the art exhibition I found myself transported by paintings. I asked myself how does the artist’s painting make me feel? What inspired the artist to paint their painting? 

The Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls is a hidden gem. It opened in 1996 and yet I just learned about this place a couple of weeks ago.

If you are planning a trip to Niagara Falls, be sure to visit the Butterfly Conservatory. It’s a short 20-25 minute bus ride from Clifton Hill (a famous attraction in Niagara Falls) to the Butterfly Conservatory. Once there, you can see colourful and beautiful butterflies in a natural lush setting. You feel transported. Any worries you might have disappear in this place that inspires awe and curiosity.    

   

Also Published on LinkedIn on: August 6, 2017
  
Image Credits:

Banner is from Pixabay

Banded orange butterfly at the Butterfly Conservatory - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niagara_Parks_Butterfly_Conservatory

Van Gogh’s "Starry Night Over the Rhone" - https://www.vangogh.net/starry-night-over-the-rhone.jsp



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice