What Inspires Me About The Terry Fox Run


We all have hidden talents and given the right circumstances these hidden talents can come out and shine.

The Terry Fox Run brings out the fundraiser in me.

I ask everybody I know.  

I ask people I haven’t met.

One time in the 1990’s I took a bold and dare I say saucy(!) approach with a co-worker. 

Instead of asking “Will you sponsor me for the Terry Fox Run?” I asked “How much are you sponsoring me for this year” thereby hoping that it would be harder for him to turn me down.

Pretty sure he sponsored me that year.

This year (2017) marks the 22nd time that I will be fundraising (and walking) in The Terry Fox Run.

I find Terry Fox extremely inspirational and heroic.

He embodied hope, positivity and determination.

I am proud to participate in this annual fundraising initiative that bears his name and legacy.

You can read about Terry Fox here.

The Terry Fox Run gives me a sense of purpose.

I like helping people.

What I can do is to mobilize people and rally them around a cause.  

I’m a persistent fellow.

The first solicitation e-mail that I send out is generated for me from the Terry Fox Foundation pledging system.

If that doesn’t get results, I follow-up.  I’ll send out 1 or 2 personal e-mails that will say different things.  

My sponsors amaze and inspire me.

When a sponsor donates online on my Terry Fox Run page, I receive a notification e-mail that says “Person X Just Sponsored you!”  I am so excited by this e-mail.  I’m like a kid on Christmas Day.  My sponsors motivate me more than they know.   I am very thankful for my sponsors for their support.   

The Terry Fox Run helps keep me on-track with my walking regimen.

I like to walk, but the Terry Fox Run gives me an extra boost of motivation.

I think to myself that since the Terry Fox Run is coming up, I had better start walking a little bit longer and a little more frequently.   The Terry Fox Run keeps me healthy.

I feel inspired by Terry Fox and my sponsors. 

They have helped to keep me going all these years.

“Don’t ask what the world needs.  Ask what makes you come alive and go do it, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” – Howard Thurman
What is a passion of yours that you would like to share?


Also Published on LinkedIn on:  July 31, 2017
Image Credit:  Pixabay





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice