Curious Story


“Curiosity” seems to be popping up all around me.

Recently one of my LinkedIn connections, Michael Zeidenberg posted these thoughts about curiosity:

“Saturday's thought: They say, curiosity kills the cat. But, I believe taking the time during the day and to focus on being curious about people, events and ideas will only lead us to greater personal growth. Besides, you never know what conversations will lead to learning something new, a new friendship, a new job, or a business adventure. Cheers to embracing the concept of curiosity as its good for the soul!” - Michael Zeidenbery
At work we organized an educational meet-up for job seekers called “Curiosity is the secret weapon for job seekers 50+.”

I know that it’s not obvious from the topic headline as to what this meet-up was going to be about.

I gather that people who came to our meet-up were curious.

Some of our meet-up attendees were newcomers and some of our meet-up attendees were older.

By being curious and attending this meet-up, each attendee was reminded (by other attendees) about a perspective that they might not have been aware of.

“Some older job seekers experience a barrier of ageism.”

“Some newcomers experience a barrier of not having Canadian experience.”

As Michael Zeidenberg indicated about being curious: “…you never know what conversations will lead to learning something new…”

I recently connected on LinkedIn to someone I had not met before.

For both the sender and me, I think we were both curious as to where the LinkedIn connection could lead.  

Sometimes you connect with someone on LinkedIn and a connection lays dormant.

And a relationship doesn’t have a chance to take off.

But as Michael Zeidenberg indicated about being curious: “you never know what conversations will lead to…a new friendship.”

The latter happened to me when I connected on LinkedIn to the person I had not met before.

Nik Beeson was one of our presenters at our educational meet-up.

My take-away from Nik’s presentation was that there is a link between stress and curiosity. 

When we are stressed, we are worried about something and we focus on that worry.  

Being curious and open to possibilities fall to the wayside.

If we can reduce our stress and engage in a reflective activity like going for a walk, journalling, painting, meditation, yoga, etc., we open ourselves up to being curious and seeing possibilities.  

I do things to reduce stress.

Maybe that’s why I’ve been noticing “curiosity” all around me.



Also Published on LinkedIn on:  May 28, 2017
Image Credit:  Pixabay




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice