Elevator Pitch



My friend George Khalife shared an elevator story with his network this week.

George stepped into an elevator.  He was listening to music on personal earbuds (or headphones).  A fellow elevator passenger noticed the blazer he was wearing and remarked:  “Love that blazer!, what does the symbol mean?”  George removed his earbuds in anticipation of a conversation and replied:  “Thanks! Not sure to be honest, but it looks cool.” This initial exchange was followed up with an introduction of names, where they work, an exchange of business cards and the possibility for future networking!

When I read George’s update on LinkedIn, I had a feeling that I may have experienced my elevator story on or about the same day that George shared his elevator story. 

Last Tuesday it was the end of the day and the elevator stopped on the 4th floor where I work.   I stepped into the elevator.  A gentleman was already in the elevator from an upper floor.  I could tell he wanted to say something (he was shooting me glances) and finally asked me if I worked in the same building to which I said yes.  That began a conversation as to where we work, what we do, ethnic origin(!) and an exchange of business cards. 

I found out from my new acquaintance that he is in retirement planning.  I am bolder than I have ever been before and I asked him if he sold products that were specific to a particular financial institution --  he explained no, that wasn’t the case.  When we arrived on the 1st floor, I showed him our agency’s name on the directory, as he may not have heard where I was working.  

We connected on LinkedIn.  

I didn’t initiate the conversation in the the elevator, but another time I did.

It was April 11, the day of the Toronto Blue Jays home opener.  I was coming home from work on the subway. I was in an especially happy mood because it was a special day for Toronto Blue Jays fans.  I noticed Jays fans at the Wilson subway station and Warden subway station.  I asked both times if they were going to the game and both times they answered “yes.”  I wished them a good time at the game. 

I was curious about whether some Jays fans were going to a game, and so I just asked them.  I had the courage to strike up a conversation.

You can network anywhere and anytime. 

You don’t necessarily have to wait for an opening to talk to people.

Sometimes you can create a networking opportunity all on your own.


Also Published on LinkedIn on May 5, 2017
Image Credit: Pixabay



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice