Call Me Maybe (Part 2)


I am an atypical Baby Boomer in his 50’s.

I say “atypical” because the people I know run the gamut from someone in his 20's to someone in his 80’s.

The people I hang with are in their 30’s and 40’s.

I learn something from everyone no matter what their age.

For people younger than me, I get that they know all about social media and the latest technology. For someone who doesn’t have a smartphone, I admire people who know all about technology. Their knowledge is pretty cool.

I also think that the knowledge that an “older” person has (50+) is pretty cool as well. Older people have a wealth of knowledge and experience accumulated over a period of time. We can learn from their trials and tribulations and ensure that history doesn’t repeat itself.  

Sometimes I can relate better to an older person.

The other day I ran across a post called “5 Things You Didn’t Know About ‘The Sound of Music.’” I saw the movie and didn’t know about the 5 things that they discussed in the article. I wanted to share the article, but who would I share it with? The younger people I know may not have heard of this 1965 movie. I took a chance and shared the article with two older people I know and both have seen the movie and appreciate musicals.

I like to “time travel” in the sense that if I want to know about something that a younger person may know about then I have people in my network to ask. Similarly if there is something that an older person may know about then I have people in my network to ask.

Sometimes you can get crossed up. The young person I know (the guy in his 20's) has both young sensibilities and older sensibilities.  I like his article called “Casual Fridays, No Thanks.” My friend has an old soul about him.

I too have young sensibilities and older sensibilities. 

For example I tend to hang out with people younger than me. We have a lot in common.

As mentioned before in my “Sound of Music” example, I sometimes relate better with an older person.

I wonder if more people can be like my friend (George Khalife) and me where we can learn something from everyone we meet no matter what their age?

Both of us relate to people of all ages.

I think what I do the best is to connect (well) with people both in person and in my LinkedIn posts.

I don’t have a smartphone but if I did, I would leave it at home. I give my undivided attention to friends I’m meeting with.

In the workplace employers may want to consider having a more age diverse workforce.

As someone who is facilitating job search workshops for older workers, we bring a lot of experience accumulated over an extended period of time.

Every time I hold one of these workshops, I am amazed by the knowledge and experience that can be harnessed in that one room.

We would enthusiastically bring that knowledge and experience to a workplace and mentor younger workers.

And since turnabout is fair play, younger workers can help older workers and mentor us on technology.  

We can learn so much from each other no matter what our ages if we only take the time to listen to each other’s stories.

So how about it employers, I know some “older” workers who would love to work for you.

Feel free to "Call Me Maybe" (with a nod to Carly Rae Jepsen)!



Also Published on LinkedIn on:  March 12, 2017
Image Credit:  iStock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice