Feedback




I wrote a post on March 3, 2017 called “Nudge Part 3.”

I sent the link to two friends and received different responses to the post.

One friend “got” the post. My point in writing the post was to say that each of us has a story to tell and that all of us are interested in hearing each other’s stories. I love to hear other people’s stories. Maybe someday I could provide a platform so that we can tell each other’s stories, because each of our stories is important in the mosaic of life (as my friend might put it).

My other friend was perplexed by my post “Nudge Part 3.” He asked what I was trying to instruct readers about. Where were the resources that I could impart to readers?

His e-mail got me thinking.

Why do I write?

I write because I feel I “must” write.   I write about my personal experiences that I hope may resonate (or inspire) some readers. I know that what I write doesn’t resonate with everyone, and that’s OK.

I changed my LinkedIn summary and included a networking story right at the top.

Here is the networking story that I include at the top of my LinkedIn summary:

“I was at a networking event the other day where food was being served in one room and chairs were arranged in rows and columns in the other. I gravitated towards where the food was being served. I looked around and noticed that people were gathered in groups of 2’s, 3’s and 4’s and deep in conversation. I thought to myself that I can’t insinuate myself in any of these conversations and so I retreated to the other room. I sat alone in one of the chairs. There was one other person in the room.  The other person broke the ice and said “hi.” I said as if it was an admission of guilt that the other room was noisy and that I couldn’t seem to get into any conversations. And that began an interesting conversation.”

What can the reader gather by my networking story?

First I like to attend networking events.

At that particular event, for what seemed like a long time, I didn’t find anyone to talk to. A year ago, I might have panicked because I didn’t want to be seen to not be talking to anyone. “What a loser!” I would think to myself.  This time, however, I just relaxed, I was comfortable in my own skin, and I sat by myself.

At that particular event, when I was sitting by myself, I noticed there was another person who was also by themselves. We struck up a great conversation! The moral of the story is that networking is not about exchanging your business card with a ton of people and never talking to those people after the event.

For me, if I can have just one deep conversation with another person at a networking event, then the networking event will have been worthwhile to me.

The feedback that I received from my post “Nudge Part 3” was very valuable.

I learned that while feedback that you agree with makes you feel happy, we need other feedback (or perspectives) that give us food for thought and the potential to grow.

Diversity of thought is a good thing.

And for that I thank both of my friends for their feedback.


Also Published on LinkedIn: March 5, 2017
Image Credit: Pixabay





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice