Always On My Mind


In a couple of weeks I get the opportunity to speak to a group of job seekers about how to conduct a job search.

I would love to say certain things to those job seekers if I had the chance.

First I empathize with your journey.

Just recently I was looking for a job for over a year.

I’ve been there, done that, and know how you feel.

Know thyself. Everyone has their unique talents, strengths and passions. You need to discover what they are, so you can position yourself to employers and with everyone in your network. There is a job especially for you out there that fits you. Take some time to reflect and discover what your passions, strengths and talents are. You’ll feel happier in a job that you feel passionate about.

Support Network. We were informed that we didn’t get the job. We might say to ourselves that the job wasn’t the right fit. That deflects some of the disappointment but not all of it. It may help to think of some encouragement or inspiration that we received in the past.  (For me, I think back to one of my friends who told me to “maintain the persistence.” I thought about that when I needed to pick myself up.) 

Be kind to yourself.  It’s difficult to hear a constant stream of rejection both from external sources and within ourselves (negative self-talk), but we can do things to rejuvenate our sense of self-worth. We can do things that we enjoy and not feel guilty about taking the time to do these seemingly frivolous things. It could be things like going for a walk, appreciating nature like changing of the leaves, spending time with friends and family, etc.  

Resourcefulness. I think human nature being what it is, if a job search strategy isn’t working, it may be helpful to try something else in addition to what we are currently doing.

You’re awesome. You have your own unique talents, strengths and passions that make you awesome!  In our job search we sometimes forget our own awesomeness. I’m here to remind you about your awesomeness!  Stay hopeful and positive!

J.T. O’Donnell is a career expert.  She says that we should think of ourselves as a “business of one” and that “every job is temporary.”  I interpret Ms. O’Donnell’s advice to mean that we should always be networking and continuously learning. Coincidentally I love doing both those activities!

I feel eminently qualified to conduct a presentation on job search. 

I empathize. I was a former HR recruiter.  


Over the next few weeks as I prepare for the presentation, you, the job seeker and the job search will always be on my mind (with a nod to Willie Nelson).



Originally Published on LinkedIn:  November 16, 2016
Image Credit:  iStock


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice