Pretty Good


Sometimes we are our own worst critic.

I was having an online conversation with my friend Peter G. Goral on my post “Taking Stock.

I had an opportunity recently to facilitate a workshop with job seekers, and in describing how I thought that I did with that presentation, I said it was “pretty well-received.”

If you’re like me, we sometimes use the qualifier “pretty” a little too much.    

I was prepared for the workshop. I rehearsed beforehand.

After the workshop was over, I felt that I was able to think on my feet and respond to questions and comments. I received good ratings from the participants.

And yet, I used the qualifier “pretty” to describe how I did.

Partly I think that I don’t want to appear arrogant, a “Mr. Know-it-All.” To counter that, I know there are areas that I can improve when conducting a presentation. For example, I don’t know how to work a laptop. Just to let you know, I received some help with that during the presentation, but I’ll learn how to use it the next time.

I don’t have a lack of confidence. Once I rehearse a couple of times, I know that I’ll be OK to deliver the presentation. 

On the day of a presentation, I do get nervous, the heart beats a little faster.

What I do before a presentation (or before a job interview) is to strike a power pose (like what you see in the headline photo), with hands akimbo on my hips.  I learned this from Amy Cuddy. I include Ms. Cuddy’s TED Talk "Your body language shapes who you are" for your easy reference.



I think it matters what you say to yourself.

A word like “pretty” sounds so innocuous. 

“Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve” - Napoleon Hill

So, if I had the chance again to tell you how my presentation went with the job seekers?

I’d say: “It was well-received.” Period.   


Originally Published on LinkedIn: December 11, 2016
Image Credit:  Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (http://whr.tn/1TWHEMV)



 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice