Rainy Day People


I am a Job Seeker in Transition. 

This post is about reframing a situation and branding yourself, and I make reference to a Gordon Lightfoot song for good measure!    

I would like to start off by admitting that I don’t have a smartphone. 

I used to think this was a huge disadvantage.  Everyone but me is in the modern age and using a cool app for this and a cool app for that.  Then I picked up a book by Sherry Turkle called “Reclaiming Conversation…The Power of Talk in a Digital Age.” 

In this book, Ms. Turkle talks about people who prefer to communicate online by texting, emailing and sharing on Facebook.  She suggests that we have lost the art of conversation and being empathetic with one other. But as the title of the book suggests, there is hope that we can reclaim conversation!   

Now here’s me without a smartphone. 

I enjoy engaging in face-to-face conversation.  My brand is positivity.  Most of us are aware that if someone is having a bad day, their mood is contagious and affects everyone around them.  I learned recently that positivity is also contagious and a positive disposition will also affect everyone around you!

Have you heard of Gordon Lightfoot’s song “Rainy Day People”? 

There’s a certain part of the lyrics I identify with and, yes, you can say that I’m a good listener.

“Rainy day people always seem to know when it’s time to call
Rainy day people don’t talk
They just listen till they’ve heard it all”
TO SUM UP:

You can reframe a situation.  Maybe you can turn around what you thought was a disadvantage into an advantage. 

Think about your brand.  What makes you YOU?  Be unafraid of who you are, because you’re perfect the way you are!


So, you can “Call Me Maybe” but on my landline, please!  




Originally Published on LinkedIn:  January 3, 2016
Image Credit: iStock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice