The Terry Fox Run -- Why it's like a calling to me



I’ve completed 20 Terry Fox Runs, from 1995 until 2015.

Every year I’d ask family, friends and colleagues to sponsor me, and every year (except 1995) my folks would drive me to our local run site (Wilket Creek Park in Toronto), so that I could complete the 10K route (via walking/light jogging) and do my part for The Terry Fox Run.   

What’s sustained me to do The Terry Fox Run for 20 years?

Meaningfulness.  For me, Terry Fox evokes an image of a hero.  I am inspired that Terry ran a marathon a day for 143 days on an artificial leg.  Terry’s Marathon of Hope (to raise money and awareness for cancer research) started on April 12, 1980 (in St. John’s, Newfoundland) and ended on September 1, 1980 (just outside Thunder Bay, Ontario).  I am proud to count myself among the millions of participants (worldwide) who have continued Terry Fox’s legacy.

Network Support.  Every year I sponsor myself to start things off.  Every year I am heartened to receive financial support.  The support encouraged me to participate in The Terry Fox Run year after year.  I have a small group of supporters (8 people) who supported me in the early years and continued to support me year after year.  I am grateful to those supporters as well as those who sponsored me once, twice, or any number of times!

Impactful Experiences.  The first time that I did the Terry Fox Run was in 1995 with a small group of colleagues at CCH.  The VP of Human Resources at CCH at the time asked if I was interested in organizing a company team, because she knew that I was interested in running.  I was happy and excited to run in the Terry Fox Run that year with my colleagues.  I am still connected on LinkedIn to two of those colleagues!

It rained in 1995.  After that first year, it was (mostly) dry weather for the ensuing years.  I am amazed and happy that The Terry Fox Run has been blessed with fantastic weather! 

My folks drove me to the local run site for 19 years.  After I finished the run, we would have a family picnic.  Those family picnics evoke memories of quality family time.  I am grateful to the Terry Fox Run organizers at the Wilket Creek Park run site for making those picnics possible, and for being such a friendly presence on the day of the event, year after year.  The picnics encouraged me to participate in The Terry Fox Run year after year. 

In the early years that I did The Terry Fox Run, the organizer of the Wilket Creek Park run site was Chris Henry.  I looked forward to receiving correspondence from him to remind me about the upcoming Terry Fox Run.  I finally was able to meet Chris in person in 2015 at a local networking event!

Exercise motivator.  The Terry Fox Run has kept me motivated to go for regular walks.  I think to myself that I must train and go for walks, so that I can complete the 10K walk in September!    

For more information about The Terry Fox Run, please visit The Terry Fox Run web site here.

Here is a video if you would like to learn more about Terry Fox’s story (Credit: ESPN).



Originally Published on LinkedIn:  August 20, 2016
Image Credit:  Pixabay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice