It is The Best of Times



I am a Job Seeker in Transition. 

The Job Search Process reflects both the best of times and the worst of times for a Job Seeker.   

Take for example a networking meeting (quasi job interview) that I attended the other day.

I thought I sucked at this meeting, because I talked too much (the worst of times). 

Upon reflection, that was probably the best networking meeting that I attended (the best of times), because I learned something about myself.

I was asked a question “What are you passionate about?”

This is a deep question to be asked at 9:00 in the morning.  It’s asking what are you really interested in and excel at. 

After letting this question percolate overnight after the meeting,  I realized that I am really interested in and do a decent job with relationship building. 

At a previous employer, I chaired four permanent committees.  I didn’t realize it at the time, but that is one of the best experiences I had.  At our meetings I always made sure that everyone had a voice and everyone felt included.

On a personal level I am interested in engaging in conversations and connecting with people, preferably in person.  (Did you know that one of the things that can make you happy is talking with friends?)

I infuse all my relationships with kindness.  I am strongly empathetic.

I love the late Maya Angelou’s quote that pretty well describes me:

“People will forget what you said
 People will forget what you did
 But people will never forget how you made them feel” – Maya Angelou
TO SUM UP:

There’s always two sides to every coin.  If you think you failed miserably at something, there’s always something to learn from that experience.

Be who you are unabashedly.  I may have talked too much at the networking meeting, but that’s who I am and I can accept that.

The Job Search reminds me of Charles Dickens' opening in “A Tale of Two Cities”:

“It is the best of times
It is the worst of times” – Charles Dickens (paraphrase)


Originally Published on LinkedIn:  January 6, 2016
Image Credit:  Pixabay (Yin and Yang)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Inspires Me About The Terry Fox Run

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

What I've Learned About Building Relationships (Part 1)