Try


Like you I was a job searcher up until three weeks ago.

I have a lot of empathy for the situation you find yourself in.

It’s important to acknowledge your disappointment and other feelings you may be feeling.

But after that it’s time to try to move on, even a little bit.  

You may not like (or possibly hear) the suggestions that I make about possible jobs to look into.

But maybe you can file my suggestions away and look at it again when you’re ready to explore some new possibilities?  

I know it may be hard to believe, but there are people who want to help you.

In Ontario there are government-funded agencies that will help you in your job search.

Ask for informational interviews.

Tap into your LinkedIn network for advice and support. 

If we are connected, I would love to help, if only to provide suggestions.

Try to find some inspiration to think a little more positively. 

For me, I find inspiration in Pink’s song “Try”, particularly this line:

"You gotta get up and try, and try, and try"

Maybe think of a quote that you find inspiring.

I heard Tim Cork give a speech a couple of years ago.

In that speech he said this quote that I find inspirational:

"The past is history, the future is a mystery, today is a gift that is called the present"

We don’t have control over what people think, but we do have control over our own thoughts, feelings and perceptions.     

It’s important to manage the impressions that others form of us.

How are you coming across in interviews?  

Are you coming across as a positive person who can help with an employer’s pain?

Or are you holding on to perceptions about how others may have treated you in the past?


Notwithstanding the headline, this article is of interest to all job seekers, whatever your age.

The article suggests that job seekers seek to continuously learn, be open to change and to re-inventing themselves.

I know it’s difficult, but when you’re ready, try to set aside the past and think a little more positively.

Reflect on your skills and what you like to do.  

Be open to learning and thinking about how you can apply your skills in this fast-changing world of ours.

My friend once said to me “maintain the persistence.”

And I for one know you can do it.



Originally Published on LinkedIn:  December 2, 2016
Image Credit:  iStock








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice