Mood Music

I was the Chair of the United Way Committee at Combined Insurance for six fundraising campaigns.

I loved serving on the Committee for the camaraderie and for being able to play to my strengths!

One of my favourite things to do was to play disc jockey and to select music for our United Way events. 

For the United Way Kick-Off I selected music that was upbeat or inspirational.

I played Santana’s “Foo Foo” that is very upbeat. 


I played Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” as it is inspirational.


One of our fundraisers was an International Pot Luck Lunch. 
At the Pot Luck I played ABBA’s “Take A Chance On Me” as ABBA was popular among employees.


I introduced the Gipsy King’s “Volare” to employees at the Pot Luck.  


Music is very evocative where it can take you back to a certain place and time.  When I think of these songs I think about the happy times that I had on the United Way Committee.  We had fun as a Committee in organizing events and in interacting with employees during the actual campaign.  
These songs are mood changers.  Are you feeling a little “down” today?  Any of these songs will pick you up and shift you into a positive state of mind!
I’ve always loved selecting music for events and making people happy.
I had a summer job once where I organized events for senior citizens at St. Christopher House.  One of the events was to organize a social dance.  I brought some records from home for the event.  One of the songs I played was Englebert Humperdinck’s “The Last Waltz.”  It was very gratifying to have the seniors dance to the songs I was playing!




I note that St. Christopher House served a multiculturally diverse population. Music is, indeed, a universal language!      
Do you think I missed my calling as a DJ?  :-)    

   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice