With A Little Help From My Friends (Part 2)


In a previous post “With a Little Help From My Friends (Part 1)”, I mentioned Whitney Johnson’s networking initiative where if you were interested, she would randomly pair you up with someone in her network and you could network with that person via Skype.  The purpose of the initiative was for two people to help each other.  For example, maybe you can help that person by opening up your network and introducing that person to someone in your network.

I volunteered to participate in Ms. Johnson’s networking initiative, because as a job seeker I want to meet new people. 

What does "networking" mean to me?  You become quite practiced in striking up a conversation with people you don't know.  I try to connect with people on a personal level.   I like to learn something about the person and identify common ground.  Maybe I’ll ask a question or maybe I can talk about something from my experience that coincides with the conversational flow.  After the conversation I’ll look for opportunities to engage with that person.  Maybe I can share something with them like an event, an article or even one of my posts.

When Ms. Johnson introduced me to someone in her network, I was excited to learn that I’ll be Skyping with someone from another country!  (I’m from Canada.)  

We had our Skype conversation earlier this week.  We had a great conversation!  

What I appreciated most about the Skype conversation was that the other person was PRESENT.  I felt heard.  The other person was very patient and waited until I finished my thought.  This person was an attentive listener.  

I on the other hand, if you’re talking to me face-to-face, can become excited and sometimes interrupt.  I was very good and did not interrupt once during the conversation!  I was very attentive and focused on everything that this person had to say.

During the conversation I mentioned that I was in transition.  We talked about why we work.  Immediately I said that I would like to work so that I could once again draw an income.  My Skype partner then reminded me of some of the other reasons why we work:  to feel engaged, to feel that we belong in an organization and to feel a sense of purpose in the work that we’re carrying out. 

I had no expectations of what this conversation would bring, but I can honestly say that this conversation helped me out.   When you have been in transition for awhile, you begin to think that finding a job is quite elusive and you forget some of the deeper reasons for why you want to work!

I can’t speak to whether the other person felt that I helped, but they did appreciate my perspective on things.    

Thank you, Whitney Johnson, for organizing this terrific networking initiative! 

I found it very helpful!  


Originally Published on LinkedIn:  June 3, 2016
Image Credit: iStock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice