What I Learned About Building Relationships (Part 2)


I recently wrote a LinkedIn post called “What I’ve Learned About Building Relationships.”

At the time, I didn’t think that I would write any additional instalments.

But I was wrong.

Here is Part 2.

“Showing Up” for people – If you were to ask me what I think “showing up” for people means, some other phrases come to mind like “being there” for people or supporting people.  In a face-to-face context with someone, I listen carefully and focus my attention on the person I’m with.  In a written context, I respond to all e-mails and LinkedIn messages promptly, because I want to engage with people and build a relationship.  I think it’s a definite relationship-killer to not respond at all to someone’s messages.  You can get away with being a non-responder to e-mails on LinkedIn, but definitely I don’t recommend being like that at work!  

I recommend reading Chelsea Handler’s LinkedIn article called “I Used to Hate Doing Stand-up.  Then I Discovered the Power of Showing Up.”  As she notes, when you show up for people, you demonstrate that you are reliable.  I would also add that you demonstrate character when you show up and at the very least a lack of courtesy when you don’t.

Inside Networking – This is where you network inside a company with your colleagues to learn more about them thereby increasing the possibility of forming a collaborative relationship with them in the future.   

I have fond memories of inside networking at Combined Insurance.  As chair of four committees, I worked with colleagues from other departments to organize employee events like the United Way campaign or BBQ or Children’s Christmas Party.  Working on these committees was a great way to network and form collaborative relationships!  

I am currently a Human Resources Professional In Transition.  If I have the chance in the future, I will make a point of engaging in inside networking by meeting colleagues for coffee or lunch, learn what their challenges are, and gain a better overall understanding of the company in the process.   

A Toronto Sun article called “Blind dates are good for business” describes a great initiative by FreshBooks and is an example of inside networking.  Employees who chose to participate in the initiative were paired with colleagues from another area in the company.  They had an opportunity to learn more about each other over lunch thereby increasing the possibility of forming a collaborative relationship in the future.

Outside Networking – My credo when I meet someone for the first time is to ask not what someone can do for me, but what I can do to help.   Most of the time I give freely with no expectation of a return.  In a relationship if I need help, I would hope that the other person would be willing to give their help.         

For anyone in my LinkedIn network, some of the ways that I help are by making an introduction, passing along an article or telling people about a networking event.     

For me, building relationships is about:
  • Having regard for people and returning messages
  • Being collaborative with others
  • Talking to people, getting to know them and seeking ways to help

Originally Published on LinkedIn:  March 10, 2016
Image Credit:  Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice