My Cosmic Journey (Part 1)



I am a Human Resources professional in transition who, as a positive person, develops positive relationships in both personal and professional contexts.  I would thrive in a company that supports a positive workplace culture.

My job search feels like I’m on a cosmic journey, hurtling through space where I’m charting unknown territory.  I’m meeting terrific people in random and unexpected ways.  I don’t know what (if anything) will come out of meeting a certain person on a certain day.  

In November 2015 I was at a Tuni Talk in Toronto (a networking/speakers event).  I attended this Tuni Talk with a friend.  I invited my friend along, so that I would feel bolstered to strike up a conversation with people I don’t know.  I struck up a conversation with a gentleman who was standing alone and engaged on his smartphone.  It turned out that we were already a 2nd level connection on LinkedIn as we had a few connections in common.  We also share an interest in positive workplace cultures.  I consider this person to be my mentor and friend who always provides supportive comments on my LinkedIn posts. 

I wonder what the probability was to meet this person?  First, I decided to attend this particular Tuni Talk and secondly I decided to approach this person and strike up a conversation.  I think meeting this person was a serendipitous encounter!

One of my LinkedIn connections reminded me about the Law of Attraction, i.e., like-minded people will be attracted to you by what you are putting out in the universe.  I decided to write a LinkedIn blog and to put out some positive vibes via my posts.  Someone who I didn’t know read one of my LinkedIn posts.  She must have liked what she read, because she decided to contact me on LinkedIn and offered me a volunteer opportunity.  Another example of the Law of Attraction is that there was someone who I met at a different Tuni Talk who later decided to invite me to a coffee networking meeting, primarily, I think, because he liked what I was writing in my posts.

Among my HR peers, we talk about people who have “landed” or found jobs.  When I think of “landed” I think of a vessel (like a spaceship) that has reached its destination.  

Unfortunately I haven’t yet landed and it’s this part of the journey that feels uncomfortable, of not knowing if (or when) I will land a job.  In the meantime I am enjoying the journey itself and meeting new people and spending time with family and friends.

In this journey of ours we sometimes feel down on ourselves.

Here is what I would like to remind anyone who is on a job search journey like myself:

  1. Know what you’re looking for (Know thyself) 
  2. Keep the faith
  3. Stay positive
  4. Believe in yourself
  5. Enjoy the journey

Originally Published on LinkedIn:  April 30, 2016
Image Credit:  Pixabay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice