You've Got A Friend


I am a Job Seeker in Transition and a positive person by nature. 

I was having a conversation over lunch the other day with my new friend.  It’s exhilarating to engage in  a free-wheeling conversation where you are thinking on the spot and bouncing ideas off each other.   When you engage in conversation you create new ideas and are creative in the process.  I recommend reading Sherry Turkle’s book “Reclaiming Conversation…The Power of Talk in a Digital Age” for a further conversation about conversations.

We talked about a lot of things.  

For example, when was the last time you told something positive to someone? 

In a corporate context, companies may wish to establish a recognition culture where employees and managers get to recognize each other daily for doing things that exemplify company core values.  It would be incredibly motivating for an employee to receive recognition and from a company standpoint  recognition drives up employee engagement.    The recognition feedback should be specific and immediate.  I admire Achievers, a company that offers a platform for employees and managers to recognize and reward each other.

In a personal context, you may wish to tell someone in your life why you are grateful for them.  This would have a beneficial effect for both you and the recipient.  For example, you can tell someone why they mean so much to you because perhaps they mentored you in the past or helped you in some way.

I love this Dr. Seuss quote:
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind” - Dr. Seuss
Nowadays I’m not afraid to tell people what they mean to me and that I consider them my friend. 

Call to Action:  Is there someone who you have been meaning to say something positive to?  Why don’t you send them this post and tell them how you feel?  You will Make Their Day and you will feel good in the process! 

Oh, by the way, I didn’t get to say to the person I had lunch with the other day:

You’ve Got a Friend (and thanks to Carole King for this wonderful song)!



Postscript on January 14, 2016:  If you liked my post, you may want to check out Henrik Edberg’s post called “74 Inspiring Friendship Quotes.”  While there you can subscribe to Mr. Edberg’s blog called The Positivity Blog. 


Originally Published on LinkedIn:  January 9, 2016
Image Credit:  iStock


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice