Joy


It’s easy to lose joy when you’re in transition.

But if you look, really look, you’ll find joy and sometimes in the unlikeliest of places.

I know that “joy” (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder. 

But maybe if I tell you what I’ve found joyful, it will encourage you to pause and reflect on what gives you joy.

I learned that the second missing capybara was found (alive and well) today.  To recap:  Two capybaras went missing from the Toronto High Park Zoo on May 24, 2016.  The first capybara was found (alive and well) on June 12th and its mate was found (alive and well) today.  The second capybara was missing for 36 days and he (or she) must have had quite an adventure!  The story of the two capybaras can be found in this Toronto Star article.  This story makes me smile and gives me joy. 

I attended a keynote speech by Margaret Trudeau at MaRS Discovery District yesterday.  This presentation gave me joy for Ms. Trudeau’s honesty, warmth and wit about her experience with bipolar disorder.  I’ve always had an interest in health and was looking forward to this presentation. 

Ms. Trudeau mentioned that she has been a mental health advocate for the last 10 years, and she is a wonderful advocate!   One of my take-away’s is that you can’t go it alone when you have a mental illness and that you should not hesitate to seek professional help.  Some of the things that Ms. Trudeau talked about in her speech can be found in this Toronto Star article.   

Today I came upon a LinkedIn post by Michael Prosserman called “Appreciation.”  In this post, Mr. Prosserman talks about how we should not take things for granted like our health.  I love this post.  It gives me joy.  Mr. Prosserman is the Founder and Executive Director of UNITY Charity.  Mr. Prosserman’s inspirational (and yes, joyful) story can be found in this Maclean’s Magazine article.

In celebrating the idea of finding joy in the small things in life, I would like to share Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy" (Video credit:  Eddie Rivera - "Ode of Joy" Beethoven's best flash mob!).   
  
Maybe I am introducing you to this classical piece that you haven’t heard before?

And that, for certain, would give me joy!






Originally Published on LinkedIn:  June 28, 2016
Image Credit:  Pixabay  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch

Compound Interest (And Not the Financial Kind)

Voice